Is this a new installation and thus GA universal? If yes… Jump to B). If no…
A) it is an existing GA installation with historic GA classic data, then:
- Has the account been auto-migrated to Universal processing already? You in settings you will see “upgrade complete” or “start upgrade”.
Only GA premium acconts have not be auto-migrated.
- Is the client currently reliant on GA data? (or is an existing system such as Omniture
et-al being used primarily for business reporting)
- Does the client need to integrate with widgets such as Google+, AddThis, ShareThis, Disqus, Optimizely, LiveChat or PhoneCall tracking providers which currently only support legacy GA.js
- Is native GooglePlus button tracking needed (not native in GA universal yet).
- Is js being migrated or just ga.js? The Urchin sessionisation counts are different to GA universal calculation; hence parallel installation will be needed.
- Is a local copy of utm.gif enabled for ABC publisher auditing using _setLocalRemoteServerMode and _setLocalGifPath? (easier in GA Classic, but possible via a custom script for Universal).
- Is resetting of customVariables as they are translated to over to a new customDimensions field a problem? (Both are stored, but historic comparisons are trickier due to moving to the new customDimensions field).
- Is custom code for reading GA client-side cookie values utmz or getVisitorCustomVar (1); on form submission being used?
- Is retaining returning visitor cookies a problem? (analytics.js will piggyback returning GA classic utmx cookies on the first hit, unless legacyHistoryImport is disabled)
- Is integration with offline CRM required? (universal only)
- Does the client have a requirement to track multi-device journeys from registered users who are logged-in from Website to logged-in within App, and is a userId exposed on the login page? (universal only)
- Is GTM for app part of the migration?
- Is cross-domain or iframe tracking required? (easier in Universal)
B) Are multiple currencies tracking within localCountryTracker needed for Adwords ROAS reports? And is client planning to use rolled-up trackers or localCountryTracker?
C) Are any legacy analytics.js or ga.js script present? If yes, a clientnameTracker rather than pageTracker is necessary.
D) Is the client within ecommerce vertical?
E) Who is going to take-over the installation once the migration is complete?
- Both GA.js AND Universal analytics.js in parallel (most likely outcome)
- Universal Analytics.js only straight
- Native GA remarketing in Universal (most likely outcome)
- Adwords remarketing (Only needed for RLSA: AdWords Remarketing Lists for Search Ads)
- More tips on GA to Universal migration checklist by Jordan Louis and a Google checklist are here.